Ross A. ThompsonDistinguished Professor of Psychology, University of California, Davis, USA
About the author:
I am a developmental psychologist studying parent-child relationships and their influence on the development of emotional understanding, moral development, and self. I also work on the application of developmental science to public policy and am a faculty affiliate of the Center for Poverty Research at the University of California, Davis, US.
What I want to achieve:
I hope my research will contribute to a new appreciation of the importance of the early years for children’s later development and well-being. This has implications for supporting the healthy development of all children, but especially those in adversity.
My previous positions:
- Carl A. Happold Distinguished Professor of Psychology, University of Nebraska.
Awards & accomplishments:
- Ann Brown Award for Excellence in Developmental Research (2007).
- Urie Bronfenbrenner Award for Lifetime Contributions to Developmental Psychology in the Service of Science and Society from the American Psychological Association (2018).
- President of the Board of Directors, Zero to Three (2015-18)
- National Board of Advisors, Buffett Early Childhood Institute (2013-present).